Get Away for a Weekend Golf Break
If you, your colleagues and friends or your golf club are planning a midweek or weekend golf break, why not sample some of the most beautiful and picturesque golf courses the UK has to offer and take a look at our list featuring many of those available in the Wye Valley and Forest of Dean.
With a variety of layouts to choose from there are courses to suit all abilities. Whether your group is setting up a golf holiday for fun, for a competition or on a corporate getaway, save yourself the hassle of finding hotel rooms for everyone by staying in one of our large houses! Each has great character, offers great facilities and are based in fantastic locations within a short distance of all of these courses.
Whilst on holiday you may want to book some time with a PGA professional based at one of the golf courses and work on your skills or spend time at the driving range amid stunning scenes of natural beauty.
Our What’s On page also has a list of open golf tournaments in the area, around which you may want to plan your stay. Most of the golf clubs in our list cater for groups and societies, allowing you to book some rounds for your party and then come back to one of our houses to relax in the evening and celebrate or commiserate the day you’ve had!
If you’ve booked one of our large houses for your golf holiday, why not tour a few of the golf clubs below, each with their own unique challenges.
Golf Courses in the Wye Valley
The Wye Valley is officially acknowledged as an Area of Outstanding Beauty and many of the golf courses listed below benefit from this wonderful scenery as the courses take advantage of the natural landscapes in many different ways.
- With views overlooking 3 counties, the courses take advantage of the natural lay of land.
- Courses include: 18 Hole Championship Golf Course (6428 yds), 9 Hole Par 3 Golf Course
- PGA Professional: Paul Middleton
- A woodland course requiring accuracy and course management over power.
- 18 Hole Championship Golf Course (6451 yds)
- PGA Professional: Tim Hall
- 18 Hole Golf Course considered to be one of the best layouts in South East Wales. Overlooks Raglan Castle.
- Regular Open Competitions
- PGA Professional: Chris Murphy
- West Mon Golf Club is officially the highest 18 hole golf course in the UK at 1500ft above sea level
- Located near Ebbw Vale, the panorama encompasses the Brecon Beacons, Gwent, Powys and Monmouthshire countryside
- 18 Hole Golf Course (6026 yds) amid rolling parkland
- Regular Open Competitions
- PGA Professional: Nigel Clarke
- Set in the grounds of the former home of Charles Stewart Rolls, co-founder of Rolls Royce
- 18 Hole Championship course (6733 yds) said to be one of the most outstanding courses in the UK.
- PGA Professional: Simon Aston
- The course offers views of the Shropshire Hills, the Brecon Beacons and the Malverns
- 18 Hole Golf Course (6055 yds) originally designed by James Braid and known as ‘The Gleneagles of the Midlands’
- PGA Professional: Stuart Rank
- The highest 18 Hole Golf Course in England
- Spectacular views over the Brecon Beacons, the Black Mountains, the Radnorshire Hills and the Malverns
- Regular Open Competitions throughout the year
- Professional: Keith Preece
- 18 Hole and 9 Hole Golf Courses along the border of Herefordshire and Worcestershire
- 9 Hole Footgolf course
- Professional: Chris Knowles
- Tough 18 Hole Golf Course rolling through the Usk Valley amidst mature parkland
- Views of the Blorenge, Sugar Loaf and Skirrid Mountains
- Professional: Brian Edwards
Golf Courses in the Forest of Dean
The Forest of Dean is an area of beautiful woodland harbouring all kinds of wildlife and with many conservation areas. The golf courses on offer match a variety of skill levels and are very competitively priced offering a great way to spend your holiday.
- 18 Hole Golf Course surrounded by the Forest of Dean
- Part of the biggest leisure complex in the area
- Footgolf course available
- Professional: Stuart Jenkins
- Challenging 18 Hole Championship Golf Course (5969 yds) with natural hazards
- Fantastic elevated views of the Gloucestershire countryside
- Professional: Keith Wood
- Set in the beautiful Forest of Dean with panoramic views of the surrounding area and beyond
- 18 Hole Championship Golf Course (6387 yds) with good drainage allowing year round play
- Family fun on the FootGolf course
- PGA Professional: Sue Bamford – WPGA Founding Member
- Elevated views over the Welsh Hills, Forest of Dean and the Wye Valley
- The 18 Hole Course runs through undulating parkland and it’s eighth hole, ‘The Cresta Run’ was recently included in Britain’s 100 Most Extraordinary Golf Holes’
- PGA Professional: Sid Trench
- 9 Hole Golf Course run by PGA professional Ian Brown
- All weather greens
- 6 Par 4 holes and 3 Par 3’s with 27 sand bunkers and a pond
- 9 Hole Golf Course
- Oldest Members club in the Forest of Dean
Family Fun Golf Courses
If playing on a full Golf course doesn’t appeal to you on your holiday or if you want a fun day out with your family and friends, these Krazy Golf courses might be just for you!
- 12 Holes with a Roman Ruin theme
- Based in popular destination, Symonds Yat
- Wheelchair accessible with ball-lifting aids and short putters
- 15 specially designed holes across 1 acre, surrounded by the Forest of Dean
- Many other activities available such as Footpool, Badminton and Tennis
- Some holes are Wheelchair friendly
- 12 holes of Pirate themed golf
- Fully accessible
- Out-of-hours group bookings welcome